The Post Where I Talk About Doing A Detox...And Then Doing It.

>> Sunday 10 April 2011


Okay folks, here it is.
I've started a detox.
Now...before you all start laughing (you KNOW I love my chocolate, butter and salt), I did do the 100 Mile Diet two summers ago and found it really difficult.  This detox is actually easier, and although I am only on Day 3, I may just actually continue to eat this way! *Shocking I know!*  Maybe because I get more kitchen time this way, maybe because I am enjoying eating things that the rest of my family could care less about eating.  Totally possible in both regards.

I do find I need to sort out my portion control still (Joshi's book doesn't mention portions, but just eating healthier overall).  Now I have to be honest.  There are certain foods that definitely don't sit well with me..digestively speaking.  That said, I never have any idea as to how certain foods make me feel long term.  I am not one of those people who really know how their body works...everything just sort of does (and for that I'm thankful as I know there are many people who their bodies just don't work properly).

Lately however, I've been breaking out and feeling rather lethargic midday, so I decided to try out this detox and see what happens at the end of 21 days.

The basis of the detox is this:
  • No red meat
  • No dairy produce
  • No fruit - except for bananas
  • No wheat, gluten or yeast
  • No alcohol
  • No biscuits, cakes, doughnuts
  • No jams or spreads -except for honey
  • No coffee, decaf coffee or tea - except for herbal teas
  • No sugar, chocolate or sweets
  • No artificially produced condiments - ketchup, mustard, vinegar

Sounds like there is a lot that I can't eat, I know...but surprisingly, I've been enjoying exploring what I can eat. I'll give you a sample of my first grocery list:

3 lemons
4 bananas
2 large containers of plain bio yogurt
2 rice milk (I did cheat and buy 1 chocolate rice milk for smoothies)
3 heads of organic romaine lettuce
2 bags of spinach
1 head of cauliflower
1 head of broccoli
1 lb of green beans
1 large piece of ginger
large bunch of cilantro
2 packages of herbal caffeine free teas
1 container of hummous (I will be making it going forward, but wanted something on hand immediately)
1 pkg of rice crackers
organic pumpkin seed butter
salmon strips
tilapia
halibut
turkey

Dr. Joshi Foods I already had in the fridge to use: carrots, homemade chicken stock, garlic, onion, brown rice, spaghetti squash, extra virgin olive oil

I'm currently on Day 3 of this detox and I'm looking forward to seeing what sort of meals I can cook up!  The hardest part for me will be when I go to a photoshoot next weekend and will be staying overnight.  I plan on taking food with me, but it will still be hard. 

Thus far, my actual meals have been really great and I will blog about some of them.  I have even looks through some of Jamie's recipes and can easily adapt them to Joshi-approved recipes!  This weirdly excites me.

Stay tuned!  (I will defo be making some sweet treats once the detox is over too...I have plans!) :)

2 comments:

The Asian Pear 11 April 2011 at 19:20  

This is one of the more do-able detox diets I've seen. Usually they just make you have water and tea for DAYS and then add soup and eventually salads.

Good luck on the detox.

(PS-bananas are evil.)

Unknown 18 June 2011 at 12:45  

How is this going for you?

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP