Canadian Maple Mousse

>> Monday 8 March 2010

Can you believe I am unable to convince anyone to join me on a trip to the Sugar Bush for the annual 'sugaring off'?

It's true. My friends are weird.

Okay, it could be that this is something that reeks of elementary school trips, but I am still romanced with the idea of loving winter while it is still here, and maple syrup festivals are definitely one way to get out there and enjoy the season.

I'm going with the notion that my friends are weird. ;)

Regardless, I may just have to go by myself. I'm cool with that and in order to feel better about going by myself, I made this Canadian Maple Mousse before the Olympic gold medal men's hockey game. Yep...everything tastes a little sweeter with maple, even 14 gold medals! ;)

But whew, talk about exhausting!

But, I am back in the swing of things...trying new products (new to me anyway) that I hope to introduce on this blog and gathering up a variety of recipes that I hope to feed you all with!

Speaking of recipes, I scoured my local Value Village this past weekend and picked up the River Cafe Cookbook for only $2.99. I was pretty impressed with myself as the recipes in it look really seasonal for summer and very fresh..not to mention that the authors Rose Gray & Ruth Rogers were in fact one of Jamie Oliver's first employers!!!
Total score!

I digress...back to the sweet stuff.



Normally in our house, we would not even fathom the idea of using the maple syrup in cans (preferring a MUCH darker version that we buy from our 'syrup supplier' who bootlegs us syrup in old whiskey bottles), but this can was sooo pretty and we are on the verge of a syrup delivery..so I picked up this can.


Please note that this recipe is not to be made with faux maple syrup or maple flavoured syrups..only the real deal will do.

candied almonds

hot maple syrup & egg yolks

Canadian Maple Mousse
(adapted from Longo's Experience Magazine : spring 2010)

  • 1/2 cup nuts (pecan is recommended, but I used almonds and loved them!)
  • 1 cup pure maple syrup (IMPORTANT: No maple flavoured syrup)
  • 4 egg yolks
  • 1 pkg (7g) of unflavoured gelatin
  • 1 1/2 cups whipping cream
  1. Bring maple syrup & almonds to a boil.
  2. Strain nuts from the syrup and place on parchment lined baking sheet
  3. Put the baking sheet into the oven set at 350F for approx 8-10 minutes.
  4. When time is up, remove from oven and set aside to cool.
  5. While the nuts are in the oven, in a larger bowl whisk egg yolks and pour in the hot maple syrup until well mixed.
  6. Remove 1/4 cup of whipping cream and sprinkle it with gelatin. Heat this in a microwave for 45 seconds and stir to dissolve gelatin completely.
  7. Whisk this gelatin/whipping cream mixture into the maple syrup mixture and set aside.
  8. Whisk occasionally for approximately an hour until the mixture resembles consistency of egg whites.
  9. Whip the remaining cream and stir 1/4 of the whipped cream into the maple syrup mixture.
  10. Fold in the remaining cream and refrigerate for at least an hour.
  11. Remove from the fridge when ready to serve and put into parfait glasses and top with the mapled nuts.

Now get out there and enjoy the rest of whatever weather you may be having! :)


6 comments:

The Asian Pear 8 March 2010 at 18:04  

can you still sugar off without snow though? o___o?

Kim: 13 March 2010 at 08:45  

MMmmmmm maple syrup! I agree with you, your friends are weird!

Webgrrl74 13 March 2010 at 20:32  

Hey AP..Yep, as long as the temperature in the day is above the negatives and the temperature at night is IN the negatives, sugaring off happens...(approx 2-3 weeks usually)

hahaha..I know Kim! :)

Anne's Kitchen 25 March 2010 at 08:29  

Oh man, how lucky are you to live in Maple Syrup country?! I SO eny you for being able to go to a sugaring off (I would immediately join you!!!). The mousse looks divine, I'll have to try this out!

Maureen 8 May 2011 at 05:32  

What a day's work! It looks so yummy. You must have felt a real sense of accomplishment after you looked at your photos. I love anything with maple syrup - the real stuff.

Wholsome 8 June 2022 at 05:58  

My recent search for hacking assistance brought me to this page. I got a referral to this software genius hacker at 'hackingloop6@gmail. com, as I was looking for help in recovering an old family lost files and documents to my husband's leased properties. This genius is a legit and reliable hacker, he really saved me from the risk of losing my husband's properties in court. He also render other services like changing grades, tracking locations, hacking websites, fixing and improving credit score, keeping tabs on your teenagers, You can also reach out to him if your funds are hanging in online trading platforms like expert-option ,cal financial, Analyst , coinspot, Ctx Prime, Fix Credit Score and many more.. hackingloop6@gmail. com, is also reachable through WhatsApp +1(484)540 - 0785, his customer service is truly recommendable..

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP