>> Monday, 18 January 2010
I think I can safely say...that cookies and music go well together.
I don't think it may be an obvious connection at first, but I bet once you think about all the cookies (and other baked goods!) out there in the world, you can find an equally delicious piece of music to go along with it!
Try these delicious combinations...
Chocolate Chip & Indigo Girls' Closer to Fine
Rolled Pirouettes & Charles Trenet's Boum!
Oatmeal Raisin & John Denver's Rocky Mountain High
Peanut Butter & Smokey Robinson's Tracks of My Tears
Ginger Snaps & Ray Lamontagne's Jolene
Oreos & The Jackson 5's Who's Loving You
Double Lemon Delights & Led Zeppelin's Stairway to Heaven
Oh yes. I said it. Led Zeppelin & Lemons.
Lemon Cookies and really any Led Zeppelin tune works out to a pretty tasty combination.
I'll let you in on a little secret, I'm not a huge fan of many lemon cookies (or lemon meringue pies..yuck) or anything with rind...but these take the cake! They have loads of real lemon flavour (none of that artificial junk) and are a big, shortbread-y delicious slice of lemon-y goodness (and I like my zest really fine). In fact, I may have to say that these are probably one of my favourites.
Double Lemon Delights
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup softened butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp grated lemon peel (save 1 tbsp for the icing)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 4-5 tsp lemon juice
- Set aside 1 tbsp of lemon peel, icing sugar and lemon juice for the icing.
- Preheat oven to 375F
- Beat butter and sugar until fluffy. Add egg, one tbsp lemon rind and vanilla. Continue to beat until blended.
- Combine flour, salt and baking powder in a separate bowl. Add flour mixure to wet mixture and combine until blended
- Roll balls of dough (approx 1/4 cup amount of dough) and flatten until about 3" in diameter on an ungreased cookie sheet. Sprinkle a little sugar on top of the unbaked cookie.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes. Cool on cookie sheet for 2 minutes and transfer to racks or parchment to cool completely.
- Combine the lemon juice, icing sugar and 1 tbsp lemon rind in a small bowl and drizzle over the cool cookies. Let the icing set.
- Eat and enjoy while listening to your favourite tune!