Happy Birthday Elvis..We're Making French Toast!

>> Friday 8 January 2010

In case you didn't know...today was Elvis Presley's birthday!
I've always been a fan of Elvis...and don't knock me here, but I am a sucker for those old 50's style musicals!

I remember one summer when I was growing up (I was probably 16 or so) one of those movie network channels had an Elvis movie on every Saturday morning. I'd get up early, wake up my youngest brother (he'd be 7) and I'd make breakfast for us both, either cereal or peanut butter on toast and I'd drag him downstairs to watch whatever Elvis movie was on. It was great and something we did together which was fun. Not to mention it kept us quiet until everyone else was awake!

In honour of Elvis' special day, I decided I had better make something that reflected both the joy of childhood memories and something Elvis would have loved.



Guy Fieri of Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives stopped by the Blue Moon Cafe to make this fun French Toast! (Adapted from the Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives cookbook)


Cap'n Crunch French Toast

Serves 4-5

  • 3/4 cup heavy cream
  • 3 large eggs
  • 2 tbsp sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 3.5 cups of Cap'n Crunch cereal
  • 8-10 thick slices of bread

Butter ...for frying

Topping

  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 2 tbsp icing sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 cups assorted fruit
  1. Whisk together cream, sugar, eggs and vanilla.
  2. Crush up the cereal until it's broken up to resemble cracker meal....place in a shallow dish.
  3. Dip bread into the wet mixture until soft, but not soggy and press the bread into the cereal mix on both sides, coating evenly.
  4. Heat a griddle just over medium heat..add butter as needed and fry the bread until it is caramelized on both sides. Approx 7 mins altogether.
  5. Whip all the topping ingredients together (except the fruit) with a hand mixer and put on top of the french toast..serve with fruit.

Yum...enjoy! Happy Birthday Elvis...wherever you are. ;)

2 comments:

lidia 10 January 2010 at 10:32  

delicious!
i have to go buy cap n crunch now.

Anonymous,  10 January 2010 at 12:38  

I have never, ever thought to put Cap N Crunch on french toast - but it looks SO tasty. Elvis-worthy for sure! And I just love that you sprinkled more cereal over the top in the picture. I'm thinking breakfast for dinner tonight. Thank you!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP